Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jesus is building His church

Recently, I was reading Walking Church's blog about God's Perspective on the Church. The blog was great. I started thinking about the church that Jesus is building and I have some thoughts that I'd like to share.

According to Matthew 16:18, the church that Jesus is building is a prevailing, victorious church that's overcoming the works of the enemy. In John 3:8, Jesus also said that those born of the Spirit are like the wind that blows and can be heard but it can't be seen. Nobody knows where it comes from nor where it goes. Its effects are mighty but it's hard to pin down.

The church that Jesus is building can be anywhere. You never know where it will show up. It's a dynamic church that's on the move. It's not bound to a building or to a specific location.

Individual members may be in a building Sunday morning or they may be at their computers sharing with an online group of believers. Some may be in a park or at Starbucks. Some may be at home washing dishes or changing diapers while others may be working in a soup kitchen feeding the homeless.

The church that Jesus is building is a united church with no divisions or separations. Each member is focused on following Jesus wherever He leads. Therefore, there are no hidden agendas and there is no room for competition.

The church that Jesus is building is filled with love. Each member is committed to helping and encouraging the other members to move forward. It's a healthy church that is learning how to overcome the world, the flesh and the devil. When the individual members come together, there's an instant connection as the life of Jesus flows among them.

These are exciting times as I look around and see this church springing up all around me.

4 comments:

bob said...

Amen to Jesus building His church.
Isn't that just like God. Doing things in a way we never would have thought.
I haven't been active on my blog but I believe I am being prompted to start up again.
It IS exciting seeing what God is doing. I think I mentioned it to Nicole but if you haven't read "Wide Open Spaces" by Jim Palmer I know it is the kind of book you would want to read. I am a reader and I have read very many books (in the last 6 years it's all been Grace Life books) and I think this is one of the very best (if not, THE best) I have ever read. You will be blessed.

Yours because of Jesus
Bob

Joel Brueseke said...

First, I just want to say, "Bob!" :) I've had your blog bookmarked for a long, long time, and in my rss reader ever since I set it up, and I'm looking forward to reading more if and when you are led!

Aida,

All over the place I'm reading and hearing stuff about "the church" and how it is people and not a building or an institution. I'm very encouraged by all of it. I mean, I would hear bits and pieces about this type of thing, but lately it seems more prevalent. I'm sure in large part it's due to having recently become connected through the internet with a few more people who are thinking in similar ways about things!

I thank God for all of you and for what He is doing in each and every person.

Walking Church said...

I think the NT Church has forgotten that we are living stones...His indwelling place in us...it is not a building. We are the temple that morphs in the marketplace. We emgage in the hills of the Galilee and not hide in the fortresses called 'church' with its comfortable program.

Jesus said 'go' not come and huddle and hide.

Aida said...

Bob, I've enjoyed your comments on my blog as well as on the other blogs. I look forward to reading anything you might be led to post. I'm sure it'll be very encouraging.

I've read Jim Palmer's "Divine Nobodies" and really liked it. "Wide Open Spaces" sounds good too. I'll see about getting a copy.

Joel, I'm really glad I found all of you. I have really been encouraged. It's great to find so many who are essentially on the same page. It's so refreshing.

Walking church, I agree with you. The church has really developed a fortress mentality. The church copies everything that is done by the world and brings it into the building so the members never have to go out into the world. Lately, I've been thinking about all of the groups who have had Valentine dinners so that the members don't have to go out into the world to eat and socialize.

Jesus said we're the salt of the earth but salt kept in the salt shaker does absolutely no good. It's only when the salt is mixed with food that it does what it was meant to do.

Aida