Monday, February 11, 2008

A little arsenic in the Kool-aid

I was talking to a friend on the phone last night about legalism vs. grace. We discussed the fact that anyone who still attends a local group is more than likely hearing legalism in some form or the other . Sometimes it's a little; sometimes it's a lot. In response I said, "A little arsenic in the Kool-aid . . . " I never got to finish the sentence because she was laughing so hard but she knew exactly what I meant.

It may look like Kool-aid and it may even taste like Kool-aid but it's not really Kool-aid. Anyone tasting it would probably think that it tasted a little funny and that it didn't smell quite right. If they ignore those warning signals and drink it anyway, they may end up dead or, at least, very sick.

Legalism is like arsenic. When a little is mixed with grace, we often have a sense that it's not quite right. Those of us who have been trained by religion for many years have learned to ignore those warning signals. The result has been the same as drinking a little arsenic . . . sick, unhealthy believers who never grow properly.

The only way to health is to be ruthless as far as legalism is concerned. I'm developing an allergy to legalism. When it comes near me, I start to itch all over and the only thing that helps is to immerse myself in Father's love and grace.

Since I got seriously involved in learning about grace several months ago, Father has set me free in many ways and now all I want is to continue this journey of knowing him and growing in grace.

7 comments:

lydia joy said...

Arsenic, hmmm that's a scary thought, yet it's so true....enjoying reading your thoughts here...

Aida said...

Thanks, Lydia. It is scary and very dangerous. Whether it's arsenic or legalism, it's best to stay away.

Aida

bob said...

Hi Aida

I praise God when I read blogs like yours and see that people all over the world are learning about God's Grace.

Please keep reading as many books as you can because God will open up a world to you that is absolutely incredibly amazingly wonderfully beautiful.

I have been reading and studying the Exchanged Life since 2001 and have been truly blessed.

I found your blog through "meeting of one" who is an awesome brother in the Lord. We are all on an incredible journey with the Father and you will not be disappointed.

I praise and thank God for you.

In Him and Him in me (quite a transplant - wink wink nudge nudge)

Bob Lewis

Aida said...

Hi Bob,

Thanks for stopping by.

These last few months since Father started teaching me about grace have been wonderful and very exciting. I've been a believer for over 30 years and I feel as though I'm finally getting somewhere.

The interesting part of my story is that He started teaching me grace about 10 years ago but, for some reason, it didn't connect so we went in a different direction. A few months ago, I found Grace Walk and some of the grace blogs and this time I got it.

These last few months have been incredible just as you said. I'm reading and listening as much as I can. Thank goodness for mp3 players.

Thank you for your encouragement. I feel like I've found a whole new set of brothers and sisters and it's great.

Aida

Nicole's Godblog said...

Amen Aida,

I love how transparent you are and you always bless me when I find wonderful comments and post such as this one from you.

In Freedom and Love, Nicole!

Aida said...

Thanks, Nicki. I'm just so excited about what Father has been doing. Like Bob said, "It's absolutely incredibly amazingly wonderfully beautiful." It really is a whole new world for me and I'm excited to be travelling with you and all of the other grace travellers that we've recently met.

Love, Aida

Aida said...

Hi Bob,

I saw that you have a blog and it looks good. I tried to subscribe to be notified of updates but couldn't figure out how to do that so I bookmarked it for future reference.

Aida