Thursday, March 20, 2008

God's not angry with you

Religion has often portrayed God as constantly angry and disappointed with us. He's pictured as carrying a big stick so he can whack us every time we step out of line. I've heard Christians talk about God spanking them.

It's impossible to come close to a God who we think is watching our every move ready to pounce if we blow it. No one wants to be around someone who is constantly criticising them. Constant criticism and fault finding will destroy a relationship with people and it'll destroy a relationship with God.

One of my favorite verses is Zephaniah 3:17.

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

That's the truth about our Father. He delights in us. He rejoices over us. When we sing songs of praise to him, we think we're the only ones singing but actually he's singing to us as well. Maybe it's time that we allow him to quiet those nagging voices that tell us we're not good enough and that he's disappointed in us so that we can hear him singing his love songs to us.

Steve McVey gives a wonderful list of truths about God's love in his workbook, The Grace Walk Experience. I believe as we meditate and get grounded in these truths, we'll begin to experience the freedom in our relationship with Father that we've always wanted so I've posted the list below.

  1. God not only love you, He likes you.
  2. God is so delighted with me that He is dancing around and singing because He can't hold back the joy.
  3. God is smiling at me.
  4. God never gets mad at me.
  5. I never disappoint God.
  6. The sins of my lifetime are forgiven.

2 comments:

amy said...

Aida, I am so glad to report two things: one, I finally got to sit down long enough to read some more of your blog AND sign in as a user so I could comment! ;-) Two, I am finally starting to be able to see that yes, there really is a difference between OT and NT! IC's teach NT in theory, but OT in too many examples. As you said, a little leaven goes through the whole batch. But, it's finally starting to make sense... thank you Lord.
Blessings!!
Amy

Aida said...

Amy, I know with your busy schedule and some very active children that it's hard to do anything extra so I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

I'm glad it's starting to make sense. As I've told you before and, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it does take time. We've gotten so used to the untruths and inaccuracies that we don't even recognize them unless the Holy Spirit reveals them to us. I'm still working through a lot of this myself so you're not alone.

Aida