Sunday, May 11, 2008

I Really Haven't Lost It

For all of my friends who read my blog, I really haven't lost it. If you read my previous post, I know you're wondering about me and, if you've stayed around long enough to read this one, I'll explain the reason for my sudden out of character interest in Twisted Sister's song "We're Not Gonna Take It."

The words of that song really speak to me as long as I ignore the strange hair-dos and bad make-up. If you've been around here long, you know that my heart's desire is to learn how to live out in the wild with Jesus outside of the influence of religion. For too many years, religion had held me in bondage. It's told me that I could never be good enough to please God so I had to do an endless string of works hoping that in the end I had done enough to please Him but I was never sure I had done enough.

Religion told me what I could and couldn't do. It gave me rules about reading my Bible, prayer, worship and "church" attendance. It told me how much to give and where to give. The list of rules goes on and on. I tried my best to keep them all but I always was left feeling like I couldn't measure up. I read books and listened to tapes hoping to find the secret to how to live a good Christian life. While I usually felt better for a while, eventually the good feeling would leave and I knew that I still hadn't found the answer. It was a cycle that left me discouraged and defeated because I just knew that I should be doing better.

In the middle of all this, Father began to teach me about his grace. He showed me that Jesus had already done everything that needed to be done. All I need to do is allow Jesus to live his life in me and through me. No more striving and struggling to win Father's approval because I already have it. He loves me unconditionally. He showed me that I didn't do anything to win his love and there is nothing I can do to lose his love.

I no longer have to do. I'm now free to just be, to be his daughter and allow him to love me freely. That revelation has changed my life. The regular members of this grace community have played a major part in helping me to understand this awesome gift of grace as have Steve McVey and Darin Hufford.

Darin Hufford has an awesome sermon called "Into the Wild." I know I talk about Darin a lot but, in the year that I've known him, his teachings have revolutionized my life. In this particular sermon, he talks about a pet hamster he had as a child named Brownie. One day, Brownie escaped and was missing for several weeks. Darin's father told the family that if they found Brownie they would have to put him down because he would be wild. Darin was shocked and didn't believe it. When they finally found him, the family rushed to where he was. Instead of being the gentle family pet, Brownie stood up and snarled at them and they had to put him down. Brownie had tasted freedom and wasn't going to let anyone put him back in captivity. He was determined to fight to maintain his freedom

At the end of this story, Darin tells us that if anyone tries to put us under bondage to religion again, that he wants us to become the meanest, nastiest hamster anyone has ever seen. I think about that story often. Twisted Sister in their own strange way are singing the words that my heart is singing. I've tasted freedom. I've lived out in the wild and I refuse to go back into bondage.

The chorus to their song says:

We're not gonna take it!
No! We ain't gonna take it!
We're not gonna take it any more!

I'm going to be bold here and post the original uncut version that Joel posted on his blog. So here's Twisted Sister encouraging us to never allow anything to keep us in bondage.

Were Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister

9 comments:

Kent said...

You are too funny Aida to put the disclaimer about the hair and make-up. What if I like it? :)

I loved what you expressed here in this post.

Joel Brueseke said...

I have to admit that when I first posted the video last year, I wondered if anyone would "get" it. I was taking a risk, in a sense, because I still didn't know a whole lot of other bloggers, and up till that time I don't think I had ever publicly opened myself up to share a deeper meaning that I had gotten out of a song like that. Well, I guess I had previously shared some of the lyrics to Kings of the Wild Frontier two or three months earlier.

Anyway, shortly after I posted the TS video, Steve McVey posted it on his blog as well, and as I look back I think that really was a great encouragement to me to begin sharing more things like that. The songs I share really do hit me in the heart, and I enjoy sharing them.

It's interesting how I think we're looking at the video from slightly different angles. I had originally looked at the video as an example of the "bad" rebellion and lawlessness that results in those who have been under the bondage of legalism, control, religious manipulation, etc. If I read you right, you yourself as a 'free' person in Christ are saying "We're not gonna take it." Not so much in a rebellious (lawless) way, but in a good way that shouts "I'm free and I'm not going to live under bondage any more!"

I like that, and I've now adopted that view of the song as well.

Aida said...

Thanks, Kent.

Oops! I forgot that you're the hair expert. Actually, since I have curly hair, there are days when I feel as though I could pass for a member of Twisted Sister although I haven't tried the "interesting" eye make-up yet.

Aida

Kent said...

Yes I am a hair professional but I wouldn't encourage anyone to do hair and makeup like that.

But videos like this one sure bring back memories.

Aida said...

Joel, I'd forgotten Steve McVey posted the video so I went back and looked at his blog. I think it's nice that he gave you credit for posting it first.

I think it's good when we feel free to share who we are instead of hiding behind masks. I'm getting better at that. Seeing your freedom in that area has been a great encouragement to me.

You're right. That's exactly how I was taking it.

I read your blog and watched the video several months ago when I was touring through your archives. I don't know what I thought then other than, "Wow! This guy sure has strange taste in music." (Smile)

While I agree that your interpretation is certainly correct, for some reason, I never thought about that when I heard the song in the car. Every time I think about it now, it's with a cry in my heart that says, "I'm free and I'm not going to let anyone put me back in bondage again."

I remember the scene in Duma when Duma tasted wild food for the first time. When Xan who had loved and raised him tried to stop him, Duma bared his fangs and snarled at him. He had tasted wild food and wasn't going to let anyone put him back in bondage.

While I don't advocate a violent overthrow of the system, I do believe that sometimes we have to be aggressive in maintaining our freedom. Otherwise, the system will just suck us back in.

Aida said...

"But videos like this one sure bring back memories."

Hmm, Kent. I don't know what to make of that comment. Were you into heavy metal too? Wow! that's two of you. I don't know if I can handle that. LOL

Aida

amy said...

Aida... you've really lost it! LOLOL :-) I love it. I hadn't seen this video in like 22 years, and one of the last places I thought I'd see it again was... on a Christian grandma's blogspot? LOLOL
But you know... the scolding dad reminds me of... the institution. The blonde TS with bad hair and makeup reminds me of...Darin with hair? LOL
You made my day :-)

Aida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aida said...

Amy, I'm as shocked as you are to see this video on my blog. See how Joel has corrupted me. LOL

Hmm. . . I wonder how Darin would look with a blond wig on. You know he played in a rock and roll band at one time. I wonder if they were heavy metal. I wouldn't be surprised.

I agree with you. Knowing Darin's heart is to see other's set free from religion, there is a similarity. Also, I know his desire is that once we're free we'll begin to set others free. The video also shows that happening.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Love, Aida