Thursday, June 26, 2008

Disney World Adventure

Well, here it is . . . the long awaited blog regarding my Walt Disney World vacation. I think you're supposed to hear a drum roll at this point. I promised Amy that I would post something but I'm sure she didn't realize she would have to wait this long.

Sunday morning, June 15th, my husband and I started the seven hour trip to Disney World. We made good time until we got to Jacksonville where a rain storm similar to the one Noah experienced hit. (Sorry, Joel, I didn't mean to talk about rain but maybe you can just ignore this part.) Anyway, at times, we could barely see the taillight ahead of us but nothing stops hubby so we continued to plow ahead. Charlie drove the entire trip there and back. That's probably because I've been told my driving makes people car sick. As a result, when on trips, I'm usually confined to passenger status. That works well since it allows me to read and do crossword puzzles. I'm also given the important responsibility of reading the map.

A couple of months prior to our vacation, we had made reservations at a Disney resort named Coronado Springs. This resort has a Mexican/Southwestern theme and being of Puerto Rican descent, I was immediately drawn to the Hispanic atmosphere. Another plus was that it's the most spread out of the Disney resorts. Having just joined TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly), I was excited about the extra walking opportunities. The grounds were beautiful and I loved the walk. It was a great resort which I would recommend to anyone. Although the rooms were small and unimpressive, the beautiful grounds and delicious food more than made up for their lack. Of course, we didn't stay in the rooms long enough to feel claustrophobic.

We ate at several Disney restaurants but my favorite was Crystal Palace where we got to meet Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore. I thought it would be irritating to have those characters walking around and disturbing our dinner but, instead, it was a lot of fun and made for a memorable evening. None of these stars has let fame go to their heads and they're quick to give a hug and are willing to pose for endless pictures. I was impressed by their humility in spite of their mega-star status.

The negative about the trip was, of course, the crowds and the heat. It also rained for several days so it was impossible to do much with my hair. The curls kept coming back and doing their own thing in spite of my best efforts at taming them. The heat was so bad that, at one point on Monday, I thought I was going to pass out. That's when I figured out that in Florida, it's best to drink LOTS and LOTS of water and make LOTS and LOTS of trips to the bathroom. I've learned to scope out places for the nearest potty as soon as possible upon arrival.

The positive about the trip was the wonderful people I got to meet. Everyone was friendly and willing to talk to strangers. It was almost a family atmosphere but three people stand out.

The first one was a man who gave out the bottles of water and juices at Coronado Springs. He was one of the few American born people who worked there. His name tag said he was from New Rochelle, New York. I had walked over to his stand to get the two bottles to which we were entitled under our meal plan. Well, he and I started talking and a two minute trip turned into a 10 or 15 minute visit. Hubby is used to this so he waited patiently at our table for my return along with the appropriate juice bottles. The juice server was the one who told me that the old Yankee Stadium was closing that week and that the Yankees were moving into their new stadium. Having been raised in the New York/New Jersey area, this was quite a surprise. Talking to him, made me feel at home since at times I still miss N. J.

The second memorable person was a blonde two year old beauty I met at Crystal Palace. She and her family were sitting in the booth next to ours. Our tables were separated by a divider so she could turn around and lean over the divider to visit with me. We quickly became great friends and her father said that they needed to take me with them since she would listen to me. At one point, her father told her to eat her broccoli and she ignored him but, when I told her, she quickly shoved the entire piece into her mouth and it was gone in no time. She was a cute angel that made my dinner at Crystal Palace special.

The third person was a woman who served us during breakfast at Coronado Springs. Her name was Emma and she was Hispanic but, since she didn't have her country on her name tag, I don't know where she was from. I love going to Mexican restaurants because I get to practice my lousy Spanish. I'm always careful to warn them that, "Yo hablo espanol muy malo" so that they don't expect great Spanish conversation from me. I only spoke to Emma twice and have no idea regarding her position spiritually but there was an immediate knitting of our hearts. She called me "mi amor" which means "my love", a common Spanish expression of endearment. I doubt I'll ever see her again but I feel like she was a special gift that Daddy sent to me.

I really enjoyed our trip to Disney World. There were some great times and there were some not so great times but, overall, it was a special time of great memories.

8 comments:

Joel Brueseke said...

What a cool story! Thanks for sharing about your trip. BTW, I had no idea you were of Puerto Rican descent! Did I? I don't think so. Anyway, somebody who's been done with school for a few weeks and has more free time still hasn't posted her pic. ~wink wink~ ;)

I'm very glad those Disney stars haven't let fame go to their head. What you see on TV and what you get in real life isn't always the same!

The heavy rain on your way there reminds me of a heavy rain we drove through near Indianapolis a few years ago on our way home from Ohio. I kept on driving, although I could barely see ahead of us. I just made sure we were far enough behind others so as not to "meet" anyone on accident.

Sounds like you had some really great interactions with others. You seem to have a real knack for connecting with others.

BTW, you mentioned you lived in N.J. Did you know that my sister, who now lives in S.C., moved there from N.J.? Now you do! :)

Aida said...

Thanks, Joel. I've never mentioned that I'm Puerto Rican but born in the Bronx and raised in N. J. I'm still getting used to sharing personal details about myself. I don't open up easily. This is an area where Daddy is still at work.

I'm still working on the pics. Hubby took a bunch at DW but I haven't been able to get him to email them to me so I can post them. I've asked and not gotten results so I decided this morning I'll have to resort to the tried and true method that wives have successfully used throughout the ages . . . nagging!

The rain was horrible!! I'm glad hubby was driving. If I had been driving, I would have been praying in tongues all the way. Instead, I was able to just continue reading my book.

I enjoy talking to people and getting to know strangers doesn't bother me. At DW, everyone was really friendly. I don't remember any sour pusses.

Isn't that funny! I knew you had a sister in S. C. but I didn't know she had lived in N. J. Where did she live in N. J.?

amy said...

Aida, I feel like I can picture you even better now after this blog! I always thought your lovely name sounded like you might be of Hispanic descent. And the first tiem we talked on the phone, I thought, "well, she's from South Carolina, but she sure does have a New Jersey accent." LOL

Your comments about heat reminded me of my one trip to Florida 25 years ago. In each photo, I was red faced, sweaty, clutching a bottle of water and looking like I was about to pass out. But, I'm so glad you met these sweet folks. They all sound like a real blessing!

Aida said...

Joel!! I got the pictures last night!! That, however, turned out to be the easy part. I looked at the instructions for posting them as a slide show and told my husband they were written in Greek. I finally gave up after a while because I could feel my stress level rising. The man who wrote them said it was easy to do. I've finally figured out that's computer talk for "get someone who knows what they're doing to help."

Anyway, Joel, don't be surprised if you get a few desperate emails from me within the next few days. I haven't given up quite yet but it's close. I'll see what I can do before real desperation kicks in.

Aida said...

Amy, you are too smart. Yep! That's me. I'm always shocked when I hear myself talk and I think "Do I really sound like that?" I know I don't have a southern accent. I'm definitely Bronx/N. J. sounding.

That's exactly how my Disney pictures look. Red faced and sweaty. Makes me look like a Native American. Of course, I think there's some of that in me too.

In a couple of the first few pictures, I look well prepared for a WD excursion with backpack on my back and a fanny pack around my waist. That's how various friends said they travelled. After the first day, I travelled with a whole lot less gear. Maybe that's why I felt faint the first day. I was dragging around that extra load.

Aida said...

Okay, Joel. I finally got something up. It's not the Disney pictures. It's an at home picture but it was much easier to do than the other.

Nicole said...

Aida!

What a lovely trip you had! I love how Abba puts certian people in our path to meet so we can feel His presence. That is so awesome.

I would love to go to Disney World, I have a cousin in Macon Georgia and she says she is going to take me to Disney World when I visit! I promise I am going to do all that I can to come up to see you when I am on that side of the country!

What a blessing to know that you had a great time on your vacation!

Love and Big HUGS!

Nicki!

Aida said...

Nicki, it was a wonderful trip. Father always has little surprises for us if we'll just see them. Have you been to Disneyland in Anaheim? Of course, I think DW is bigger and has more stuff but I've heard Disneyland is good too.

I hope you do come to Ga. Let me know if you do. We'll figure out some way to get together. I would love to go to your part of the country. I would love for Daddy to open up that opportunity. We'll have to see how it works out.

Love you & big HUGS back to you,

Aida