Saturday, July 12, 2008

Being who we are

Recently, I was re-reading parts of Jim Palmer's book "Wide Open Spaces" and on page 55, I found this little gem.

"I also observed that all elements of nature fulfill their rightful place by simply being what they are. Trees don't aspire to be fish. They don't even aspire to be better trees. God was saying to me I could experience my rightful place in creation by simply being who he made me to be. This is another one of the most significant discoveries I've come to concerning life in God: life is not about becoming something I'm currently not, but instead being at every moment who I already fully am."

It really is simple yet religion has so infected this new life in Christ that what was meant to be so simple that even a child could do it now has become complex and extremely difficult to live up to.

8 comments:

Joel B. said...

There's a lot of freedom and wisdom in dem der words!

I was just thinking of all this, this morning and I essentially got mad at the little box religion had tried to keep me in! I'm asking God to get me out of my box more and more, to be who I am. It really should be natural to be who we are.

Nicole said...

How funny I am in the middle of reading that book as well! Isn't it just a good one? I was meaning to finish it months ago, but just now I have been able to read it more on a regular basis and hope to finish it soon!

What a great quote!

In Freedom, Nicole!

Katherine Gunn said...

Hmm... I am finding that I have spent so much time in the boxes that were made for me that discovering who I really am is a challenge. But I am glad to finally take it on. ;-)

Aida said...

Joel, you're so right. It should be natural but religion has so messed up our thinking that it's hard to separate the natural life from the caged life. It's a slow process to unravel the lies but Father is slowly releasing the real person in us.


Nicki, it is a great book! I finished it a while ago but decided to read that chapter again. As soon as I finish the book that I'm now reading, I think I'm going to re-read the whole thing. There was so much in it that was freeing.


Katherine, I couldn't agree with you more. That's my experience too. In many different areas of my life, I'm still trying to figure out who I am and what I really want. It really is a lengthy process.

Erin said...

Hi Aida...I've seen you comment here and there lately, so I thought I'd stop by. I love Wide Open Space, and that is my favorite quote from it! I spent so many years trying to be something I'm not and to be better at it all the time...wasted years. So much more peace now that I am happy to be the tree I am.

Aida said...

Erin, I'm glad you stopped by.

I agree. Life has taken on so much more joy and peace now that I've learned that it's okay to be me. Actually, I think I'm a pretty neat person. That's not being boastful. It's just my understanding that Father made me the way I am and he doesn't make any junk.

The Bible says that we're fearfully and wonderfully made and I'm choosing to believe that about myself.

Free Spirit said...

Ahh... so true Aida. Great encouragement!!
Thanks!

Aida said...

Thanks once again, Free Spirit.