Saturday, July 26, 2008

Great website

In a comment on another blog, AmyC said she was reading a book entitled Recover Your Good Heart. For many years in religion, I heard that believers have a sinful heart that can't be trusted. Somehow, that never seemed right so when I read books like Waking the Dead and The God's Honest Truth, I was thrilled to find out the truth.

At the new birth, we were given a new heart and a new spirit. This new heart is good because God lives in our heart. We're now new creations; all things have become new. Our hearts are new and they are now trustworthy so we can look into our hearts and allow them to guide us. The problem is that our minds are so clouded over with religious tradition that we can't always recognize the voice of our heart.

However, as we grow and become established in grace, we'll be able to tell the difference between the voice of tradition and the voice of our heart. As we learn and grow, we'll be able to recognize and follow our hearts more consistently. That's why I believe it's critical that we soak ourselves in this message of grace. We need to hear this message so that the voice of grace is louder than the lies we've been told while in religion.

This is an area where I want to grow and to learn more so this morning I went online to see if I could find more information about this book. I found the author's website, Robbins Writings, and had a chance to look it over. I was really excited by what Jim Robbins had to say so I ordered his book.

I highly recommend his website and I hope you'll check it out. I know you'll be glad you did.

6 comments:

Tracy Simmons said...

Aida, this looks really great. I just ordered his book, so I'll be sure to write a review of it once I get it and blaze through it :).

Thanks for passing on great resources like you do!

Joel B. said...

Thanks for the link, Aida. Looks like a great site and a great book.

Aida said...

Tracy & Joel,

When I found this website, I was blown away because it looked so good. All I could think was that I had to pass it on to my friends. I ordered the book this afternoon and can't wait to get it and start reading.

I look forward to reading your book review, Tracy. I always enjoy reading the highlights that you share with us from the books that you're reading. There are so many books that I'd love to read but don't have time so I appreciate you doing it for us and then sharing what you've learned.

Karen (SoCal) said...

Aida, I ordered this book about 2months ago and just started reading it! how funny that I find it now on your blog...very cool. So far, it's great (i'm a slow reader:)). can't wait to check out his site..thanks..K

AmyC. said...

Aida,
Ah, yes...thanks for referencing my recommendation of "Recover Your Good Heart." Yes! I suggest it for everyone! It really helped me to understand exactly what you mention here in this Blog Entry.

Growing up in the modern church, I was taught (repeatedly) that my heart was so foul, evil and awful. Thus, if one is told that, one eventually believes that and thus, LIVES like that. It was when I read this book, that the Holy Spirit so beautifully showed me that upon salvation, I Papa gave me HIS heart which is TOTALLY and completely good. After all, God is only love. And God gives only that which is GOOD. And because upon salvation I received a totally new heart, it was a heart filled with the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Thus, KNOWING this and BELIEVING this absolute truth, I realized, was SO incredibly important for me to realize WHO I am and that I have a good heart. Once I GOT this, it completely blew my mind--for the good.
It helped me gain confidence so that I don't spend my days beating myself up, or living up to the "bad" heart I thought I used to have.
I realize now, that I have the CHOICE to live in congruence to my good new heart or live according to my old heart, which has been cast to the margins/edges. Yes, unfortunately at times, I do sin --which in those moments, I traveled to that margin old heart, and acted in congruence to it. But, every single time I sin, it's NOT in congruence to my good (Spirit-filled heart) and thus I immediately feel convicted, b/c what I did was not good/love.

~Amy :)

Aida said...

Karen, that's really neat! I'll be interested in hearing what you've learned once you get further along in the book. I don't think you have a blog so you can post some comments here if you'd like.


Amy, you just made a simple comment but it was enough to get me VERY interested. I hear the words "good heart" and my ears perk up. I'm so glad you told us about the book.

It's so true. Our behavior will go in the direction of what we believe. If we believe that our hearts are evil, our actions will prove that to be true. However, once we come into the understanding that our hearts are good and can be trusted, sin will begin to lose its hold because the voice of our good heart will be louder than the sin that calls us.

You really have whet my appetite to get into the book. What you've learned is something that will change us forever. Thanks for your comments.