Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Got a Name - Jim Croce

For some reason, this song was going through my head today. I wasn't sure if it was a Joel thing but I decided to check it out on YouTube. (If you don't know what I mean by a Joel thing, follow this link.) Anyway back to the song. I knew it was by Jim Croce but I didn't even know the name of the song until I found it and listened to it.

What an amazing song! The lyrics spoke perfectly to me about this journey I'm on to know my Father's heart. I'm not going to post all of the lyrics because I believe he sings clearly enough to understand him but the part at the end after the interlude really stood out. I believe those words wonderfully catch and describe the essence of what it means to be a Free Believer so I'm going to post them here.

And I'm gonna go there free . . .

Like a fool I am and I'll always be
I've got a dream; I've got a dream
They can change their mind but they can't change me
I've got a dream; I've got a dream

Oh, I know I can share it if you want me to
If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

Movin' me down the highway
Movin' me down the highway
Movin' helps so life won't pass me by

Movin' me down the highway
Movin' me down the highway
Movin' helps so life won't . . . pass me by

7 comments:

Joel B. said...

If it's a Joel thing, then your readers should be very, very scared. ;)

Seriously though, I love this song. I actually just remember the chorus (movin' me down the highway...) from my childhood, but there's a sports guy who has a one hour show here, and he plays the line "I got a name, I got a name" during his show's intro, and I always wondered where that came from. Now the connection is made!

Great lyrics, and I definitely think you're spot on that it's a 'free believer' song.

Aida said...

Joel, you've got many amazing gifts so there's no telling. Seriously though I love you, Little Brother.

I don't know why this song floated through my head yesterday but I just had to look it up. I couldn't remember the lyrics either but I absolutely love it. I listened to it several times and was dancing around my kitchen. I also ended up doing the tongues thing at one point.

The lyrics really spoke so much to me. It's amazing how Daddy uses what is considered "secular" to point to himself.

I guess you were a little fella when Jim Croce was popular. Have you ever heard anything else by him?

Matthew Daelon said...

I love the part "Like a fool I am and I'll always be".

It's great to know God loves me no matter how messy I am. He allows me to experiment and test things in order to find out what His perfect, pleasing will really is.

Aida said...

Matthew, I hadn't really caught that but it's true. He's so good about cleaning up our messes and not making us feel guilty about it.

Aida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen (SoCal) said...

I agree about Father speaking to us through "secular" songs. So often it's been a song that He has used to teach me and guide me and comfort me.....k

Aida said...

Karen, learning that has been a wonderful experience for me. In my religious days, I felt like I could only listen to praise music. Now, I listen to and enjoy all kinds of music. Sometimes, it's meaningful and sometimes, it's not but either way, it's okay.