Friday, August 22, 2008

Choosing Fear

Darin Hufford has just posted an excellent blog about fear. Since fear is something I deal with, I was very interested in what he had to say. This is one post that I feel I'll need to read again so I printed it so I can refer to as needed. I've never experienced panic attacks nor has my fear been debilitating in any way. However, it has held me back from doing things I wanted to do.

Darin says that fear is a choice. When I first heard him say that, I disagreed but reading his explanation has helped me to see that it is a choice. When we choose to live in an imagined future of evil rather than in the reality of today, fear will be the result. Darin says, "Anytime we go down the road of 'What if,' we will inevitably become filled with fear."

Darin also makes a distinction between wisdom and fear. "Wisdom and fear are two totally different things and the moment we connect the two together, we are not only inviting fear into our lives, but are rewarding ourselves for having it."

"I understand that many people believe that fear can be a good thing, but I couldn't disagree more. All fear as we know it is BAD."

This teaching has the potential to set people free who have been bound by fear and panic attacks. Tina, who has dealt with panic attacks for years, spoke with Darin regarding his statement that fear is a choice. What he shared has put her on the road to freedom.

To read Darin's post in its entirety, follow this link. To read Tina's post regarding her conversation with Darin, follow this link.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Aida,
Yes! I just read Darin's blog on Fear. It is excellent, as usual! :)
I think he's dead-on everything he stated.

I also read Tina's when she posted it. I am delighted in the healing and learning Father is showing her regarding fear.

I actually wrote a blog about fear too. In case you haven't yet read it Aida, or others commenting on this blog post, feel free to check it out.

It's called "Overcoming Fear" and was on 8/12/08.

Of course, I didn't articulate fear as well as Darin does, but it's just my angle at looking at fear.

http://amyiswalkinginthespirit.blogspot.com

Blessings,
Amy :)

Deb said...

Aida,
Thanks for posting the link to Darin's blog on 'fear'....I read it last night and it was excellent!!! :-)

Love,
Deb

Aida said...

Hi Amy,

Darin's explanation about fear has really helped me. Also, I'm really excited about what Tina has learned and how she is beginning to live in freedom. I believe others will also be set free through reading his blog.

I'm really behind in reading other blogs and actually having trouble keeping up with my own so I haven't read your blog in a while. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up soon.

Aida said...

Hi Deb,

It really is great isn't it? BTW, I downloaded the audio you suggested and hope to listen to it soon.

Love,
Aida

Joel B. said...

This is one thing I've been trying to teach my kids (the difference between fear and wisdom), and our storm and tornado watches and warnings this year have been helping me in this. Most of what they fear never comes to pass, and this has been especially true with the weather threats. When we're in the middle of a severe thunderstorm warning, or a tornado warning, their tendency is to freak out and get scared.

Indeed some would say that this type of fear is good, but if I catch Darin's drift correctly, he's saying to chose wisdom over fear, and I can see how right-on that is.

I've been teaching the kids by remaining calm during storms, and simply having everybody come down to the basement to our safe spot. I understand their fear, but I'm trying to teach them to simply act with wisdom.

So much of life is like that. We can let fear overtake us, or we can simply remain calm and act in wisdom. I think it's a learning process.

Did you see Steve McVey's blog about Tropical Storm Fay the other day? It's similar in nature to the thoughts here.

Aida said...

Joel,

It sounds like you and Darin are in agreement. You've just stated it differently.

"So much of life is like that. We can let fear overtake us, or we can simply remain calm and act in wisdom. I think it's a learning process."

What a wonderful way to put it.

I believe if more parents taught their children the difference between fear and wisdom as you're doing, fear wouldn't be a controlling factor in their lives. As adults, it's more difficult to work through it but it's still possible and it's absolutely necessary if we're to move forward in this journey.

Thanks for sharing, Joel. This was very encouraging.

Aida said...

Joel, I haven't read Steve McVey's blog. I think I'll go over there right now and see what he has to say. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Free Spirit said...

Wow, what's the deal about fear? All the sudden, it seems like everyone is posting about fear, and I'm in there with 'em. I had no idea anyone else was posting on the subject, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true for them. So here it is, if you're interested:
http://spiritunleashed.blogspot.com/2008/08/fear-for-your-love.html

So interesting, this.

Aida said...

Free Spirit, it sounds like Daddy is wanting to set his children free from fear since fear is the major hindrance to believers moving forward.

I'm catching up on what you've posted in the last couple of weeks and before I read you comment, I had just read your blog on fear. I haven't read Amy's yet. You made some great points and I recommend it to anyone struggling with fear.

Bino M. said...

Isn't it interesting people call fear a 'healthy concern'? It's like calling homosexuality, an 'alternate lifestyle'. (Political correctness!)

Fear isn't a healthy concern, because fear never produces anything 'healthy'. It can only paralyze us. I agree with Darin.

Aida said...

I agree, Bino. Fear is never good.

I like how Darin makes the distinction between fear and wisdom. Much of what we call healthy fear is really common sense yet, when we label it as fear, we open ourselves up to accept fear as something that is to be desired. That's a dangerous lie which will keep us in bondage.