Thursday, January 1, 2009

Flying in V formation

2009 is here and 2008 is now history. As I look back on 2008, I’m amazed at what Father has accomplished in my life as well as in the church. It’s been a year filled with adventure as he continued to set the church free from religious mindsets. New blogs and websites were started to share his love and grace.

This blogging community has been a source of major encouragement for me. I found my first blog, Grace Roots, in the fall of 2007. The blogs posted there were so encouraging that I decided to add a few comments. Then, I followed a trail of links and found other blogs. How exciting to find a small group of believers who thought like I did!

Prior to that, I felt very alone. I knew Father was showing me some things but I didn’t know who to share them with or who would share with me. It was a very lonely time in my life but as I began to connect with this awesome group of bloggers, the loneliness lifted and I felt like Father had given me a community of believers and friends.

In January, I couldn’t resist the call any longer and I started my own blog. That was a major adventure for someone who is technologically challenged. At that point, the only thing I really knew how to do online was email but with the encouragement of Bino and Joel to inspire me, I began this blog. Because of all of the emails I’ve sent Joel asking for technological assistance, he may wish he hadn’t been so encouraging.

I look at this community of bloggers as friends and family. We're all on unique journeys and I believe the story of geese flying in a V formation is a beautiful analogy of us as believers traveling on our journeys. Although we're traveling alone, we're also traveling together.

I believe we can learn much from the description of why geese fly in a V formation. I'm sure most of you have heard this before but maybe, as we approach 2009, it'll be a reminder to us of why Father has placed us in community. I copied and pasted the following from a blog named Leadership in Perspective.

Happy New Year to all of you. I look forward to continuing this journey with you in 2009.

Synergy - Why do geese fly in a V formation?

We have a lot to learn from these geese.

By flying in "V" formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.
=>People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.
=>If we have as much sense as a goose, we will stay in formation with those who are heading in the same direction as we are.

When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.
=> It pays to take turns doing hard jobs, with people or with flying geese.

These geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
=> We need to be careful what we say when we honk from behind.

Finally, when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gunshot, and falls out, two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or until he is dead, and then they launch out on their own or with another formation until they catch up with their group.
=> If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other, protect one another and sometimes make new friends who seem to be going in our direction.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Aida,
This post is truly beautiful. Thank you for including the information about the "Vee" formation of geese. I knew some of it, but learned quite a lot more...that most certainly as you, or the article does well, explains the connection with us walking alongside in relationship with our friends. Very cool.

Aida, thank you for explaining a bit more of your Journey of when and how you began your blogpage. I didn't know all those details. Again, very neat!

I am most definitely grateful that you are blogging. I sincerely enjoy all your posts - as they give me fresh things to ponder and/or touch my heart, and/or cause me to relate to them so very much.

Look forward to more here in 2009. May this year be a blessing and joy for you.

Blessings,
~Amy :)

Leonard said...

I've seen this geese thing before but at the time I didn't notice that the leader only led temporarily see at the time I thought the IC model was the way to go and the same goose was suppose to fly up front day after day after day, well you get the picture.

Thanks for sharing your journey.
Best New Year.
Leonard

Joel B. said...

I love the Flying in V illustration! It's so true. So many of us are "out here" on our own, but yet we've got each others' backs and we're building one another up in the grace and love of God!

I went through quite a long period of feeling very alone. When I joined the Grace Walk Forum in early 2005, that helped quite a bit, as I got to know some people. But it really wasn't until Dave Lesniak (manager of the forum and of Grace Walk Radio) asked on the forum if anyone had a blog, that I had even considered having a blog. With that question/suggestion in June 2006, I got started right away. I think it was actually the very next day! Bino was also on the GW forum at the time, so he was with me in those early blogging days, as well as a few others. And then I think it was the following spring or summer (2007) that I really began to get to know more people, including you, and I really began to see more of a "community" forming online. It's really been great!

When I began to see people meeting other people through my blog and through other blogs, my heart's prayer became that many more people would be connected and would be able to be an encouragement for one another. It's been absolutely wonderful to see Father doing what He does!

Aida said...

Thank you, Amy. Geese, in my opinion, are a perfect example of how we’re to relate as believers. Hopefully, this will become more and more true as the church begins to really experience freedom in Christ.

I'm thankful that you’ve been encouraged by what I’ve shared.


Leonard, we all were duped into believing that. Then we wonder why so many leaders tend to fall. Yet, the system sets them up for that.

Aida said...

Joel, I see it as an ever growing chain of interconnected relationships. I believe this community will continue to grow as Father continues to connect people. It’s exciting to see what he’s doing and to be part of that chain.

Thanks for encouraging me to start my blog and to continue to encourage me as I’ve stumbled along in learning and growing.

lionwoman said...

Aida, have you seen the movie "Fly Away Home?" I think you'd love it. The parallels you draw between things in everyday life and spiritual principles are great! (Jesus was good at that too :-)

Sadly IC for all their talk about how we need each other, tends to just leave behind the shot, weak and wounded.

We can sure learn a lot from the animal kingdom if we look!

Aida said...

Amy, I love that movie. Charlie has the video but I haven't seen it in a while. Maybe I'll watch it again when I get a chance.

The Bible often tells us to look at nature in order to learn a kingdom principle. I believe one reason why Father put animals on this earth is so we can have a visual to help us understand life in his kingdom.

Bino M. said...

Aida, I am so glad I met you and many others here in the blogsphere. Blogging let us execute our freedom and I love it.

I too felt lonely for sometime after stepping out of the religious bandwagon. But truthfully, I have learned more than a lifetime in the past few years through interacting with the bloggers. It's been so great.

It's funny that I think of you all all the time though we haven't even met each other in person. :)

Aida said...

Bino, I agree. Blogging has given me freedom to express what Father has put in my heart and I've learned so much since connecting with you and the other bloggers. The wisdom and insight expressed in this blogging community is outstanding.

My blogging buddies are very important to me. Whether I ever meet any of you face to face or I don't, my life has been greatly enriched by knowing all of you and I consider you dear friends.

Bino, I appreciate your encouragement when I first started thinking about blogging. Thank you.

lydia joy said...

Wow Aida, love that illustration of the geese! Excellent!! That is encouraging!! It seems like how it kind of goes naturally for us as we branch out away from religion to find each other on the same journey headlong in the grace and love of God!! Thanks for posting this!!

Grace and love to you my friend!!

Aida said...

Thanks, Lydia. I'm glad you were encouraged and I'm glad to be on this journey with you.

Much love back to you.