Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dances With Wolves


I just started reading "Dances With Wolves". I've never read it before or seen the movie. I've had the book for a while but just now wanted to start it. So far, I'm enjoying it immensely.

There's a quote on the back cover that I found fascinating. It said: "Unless he gave up the past, he could never have a future."

That's been my story for about 11 years. When I started this journey, God told me to forget the former things and not dwell on the past because he was doing a new thing in my life. (Isaiah 43:18-19) It's been very disconcerting and scary at times but that's exactly what I've had to do . . . put aside the past in order to enter into the future that God had planned for me to experience.

My baby granddaughter has just started walking and I'm amazed at watching her. She had the crawling thing down pat and it really does seem like a safer way to travel but, when it was time for her to walk, she stood up and started walking. She's wobbly on her feet at times and falls down some but she just gets up and keeps on moving. She hasn't reverted back to crawling. That to me is a picture of this new life in the spirit. I may be a bit wobbly as I walk but I can't go back to the old safer ways.

I haven't gotten very far into the book but I'll be interested in seeing how this truth plays out in the main character's life. I entered this journey unwillingly and unknowingly but now that I've begun to see glimpses of the new thing that God is doing, I never want to go back to those old ways. This is a picture of this new life in the spirit. I may be a bit wobbly as I walk but I can't go back to the old safer ways.

6 comments:

Free Spirit said...

Love this, Aida.
Oh so true! No crawlin' for me either!!
Crawling may have been safer, but it sure was limiting, and not nearly as fun! :)

Aida said...

I'm with you, Free Spirit. Once I gave up crawling, the limits were gone and I don't intend to go back to that life again. Thanks for commenting.

Aida said...

I got the following email from Amy (Lionhouse). She wrote:

Aida, FYI I always read your blog but I often have so much difficulty getting into blogger that I don't comment. I decided to just send U an email this time. That was an awesome movie, please LMK how you liked the book when you're done :-)

I remember the many blessings this man had that he never would have found 'conforming.' It was an amazing, moving story. He never looked back, that's for sure. I hadn't thought of this movie in conjunction with being a free believer but it's an excellent example.

Blessings
Amy

Aida said...

Amy, I'm sorry you're having trouble posting on blogger but I'm glad you sent this email to me. I always appreciate your comments.

I just finished reading the book. I thought it was interesting that for a season, he tried to live in both worlds but eventually, he made the transition and, as you said, he never looked back. It really was an amazing story that contains many great analogies to this new life that we've entered into.

Aida

Leonard said...

Aida, Thanks for the good analogy, these are the best kinda posts.

Best

Aida said...

Thanks Leonard. I love analogies too. They just make things clearer.

Aida