Saturday, February 21, 2009

A mysterious awakening

I wasn’t planning to write a third blog on "Dances With Wolves" but, as I was reading, I found a portion that I just had to quote here. It said,

“They spent less than three full days in the temporary camp, and three days is a short time in which to undergo extensive change.

But that’s what happened.

Lieutenant Dunbar’s course in life shifted.

There was no single, bombastic event to account for the shift. He had no mystic visions. God did not make an appearance. He was not dubbed a Comanche warrior.

There was no moment of proof, no obvious relic of evidence a person could point to and say it was here or there, at this time or that.

It was as if some beautiful, mysterious virus of awakening that had been long in incubation finally came to the forefront of his life.”

I believe this is a beautiful description of how many of us made the transition in this journey. Instead of it being a onetime conscious decision, it was really a series of steps until one day we realized we were no longer the person we had once been.

As the author described it, it was an awakening. Truth that we had known all along suddenly became real and, after a lengthy incubation, this truth was released and we gave birth to an understanding of our new identity.

To read my previous posts on "Dances With Wolves," follow this link and this link.

11 comments:

lionwoman said...

Aida, this is a wonderful illustration of a spiritual journey toward wholeness and oneness with God. The institution treats it more like a one-time event. You commit to Christ. Then you re-commit again every time you feel you haven't measured up. Finally many give up in frustration. Our culture has been conditioned to focusing on "the goal" and "the results." While to God, the journey is what's important, that's what transforms the heart. And I really feel like I'm in an incubation period. Thanks for the food for thought.

Nicole said...

Aida, just so you know, you are the first on my list because you were my very first friend I met in this journey! I miss you! Glad we connected again!

Big Hugs!

Ohh, and call me anytime! I would love to hear from you, I wanted you to have my new number for that very reason! :)

Aida said...

Beautifully said, Amy. We really do need to learn to just enjoy the journey and allow God to get us to the destination. Our reaction is often similar to taking children on a long road trip. Even if we’ve taken enough toys and books to keep them occupied, invariably we’ll hear them ask, “Are we there yet?” . . . not just one time but many times before we arrive at our destination.

In a similar manner, God has given us a lot to occupy us on this journey but instead of just enjoying the journey and what he's given us to do in each moment, we’re constantly asking, “Are we there yet?”

Aida said...

Nicki, top or bottom, I’m just glad we’re friends. Hope we can talk soon.

Love you much,
Aida

Qwin said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Elaina

http://www.craigslistpostingtools.info

Aida said...

Elaina, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to post a comment. I appreciate your encouragement and look forward to getting know you better.

Bino M. said...

Aida - It's a great illustration. It wasn't a one time big aha moment for me either, it was a combination so many small aha moments and it was also pretty much unconscious. That reminds me of the quote 'all true transformations are unconscious'.

Much love,
Bino.

Aida said...

Bino, it was the same with me. One small baby step after another and, as you said, it was unconscious on my part. I was just following God as best I could but had no idea it would result in such a major change in my life. Maybe if I had known, I wouldn't have gone.

Great quote and very true.

Aida

Sherri said...

Aida,
I saw your comment & web address on Darin's site, so I came on over to read your thoughts. This was such a wonderful post. It really spoke to me. I absolutely love the quote you have from "Dances with Wolves". That last sentence really describes my journey too. One day you wake up and look around & you are completely different than you were before. And there's no going back. Ever. Thank you,
Sherri
http://goldendaughter.wordpress.com

Aida said...

Sherri, thank you so much for posting a comment. I'm glad what I wrote was an encouragement to you.

I agree. Once I got to that place and recognized the change, I knew I could never go back.

I see you have a blog too. I'm going to check it out as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again for stopping by.

Aida

Aida said...

Sherri, I just took a peek at your blog. It's beautiful! I just love the way it looks! I'm looking forward to digging in and reading what you have to say.

Aida