Thursday, April 2, 2009

Recover Your Good Heart book study

A group of us have been doing an online study of Jim Robbins’ book, "Recover Your Good Heart." Sunday nights, we meet on Yahoo Messenger for the discussion and Joel from Grace Roots is our facilitator.

I don’t particularly care for group chats so, when Joel first mentioned doing this study, I decided I didn’t want to participate. However, when Ron of Through the narrow gate asked me if I was going to participate, I decided to give it a try. I really was only doing it in order to encourage him and to support Joel. I really didn’t expect to enjoy the study but I’ve been very pleasantly surprised.

Each week there’s a different cast of characters and believe me, some of them are characters. Joel does an excellent job of keeping this wild group moving forward with the occasional assistance of Dave Lesniak who in his calmer moments (brief though they are at times) is able to ask the right question to get the group back on track.

It’s been a lot of fun with a lot of joking and relationship building. The book is excellent and we’re all enjoying the exchanging of thoughts and ideas about our good heart.

Maybe this is what Jesus had in mind when he said he would build his church. Although it’s online and most of us have never met face to face, I believe real community is being built through this study and the church is being strengthened.

If you want to catch a glimpse of the church in action, it’s not too late. Our last meeting in this study will be this Sunday. Joel (now there’s a guy who deserves a medal for valor) will be starting a new study soon. Plans haven’t been firmed up yet so check his blog at Grace Roots for dates and times.

And thank you, Jim, for being the guinea pig and allowing us to use your book for our first study.

If you haven’t read “Recover Your Good Heart,” I highly recommend it. There’s also a companion workbook. For ordering information, follow this link.

2 comments:

Joel B. said...

It's truly been a much better time than I even expected! I mean, I didn't really know what to expect, but I did sort of expect that people would get something good out of it, and in that respect my expectations have been exceeded. :) I'm so glad you've been a part of it, Aida. You've really shared many great thoughts throughout the discussions.

Aida said...

Thanks, Joel. I've enjoyed participating and I'm looking forward to our next study.