Friday, March 19, 2010

Wild children of a wild God

I posted this in April 2008 and I wanted to bring it back up because I think this is still an important topic for us today.

In one of my previous posts, I said that I had asked Father what it means to be wild in my everyday life. As I thought about this, I realized that I had a picture in my mind of what I thought wild meant. The picture I had was of something that is frenzied, chaotic and out of control.

As I thought about Duma's journey back to the wild, I realized my picture didn't fit what I was seeing take place in his life. Dictionary.com defines wild as "living in a state of nature, not tamed or domesticated." That is what I believe we'll experience as we learn how to live in the wild. It'll be a return to living in our natural state as followers of Christ . . . the way God intended for us to live.

One of the first signs that Duma was returning to his wild state was that he began eating wild food. He wanted meat from an animal that had just been killed. When Xan tried to stop him, Duma snarled at him and Xan drew back. Duma was not going to allow anyone, not even someone he loved, to stop him. Tame food would never satisfy him again. No longer would he be satisfied eating Purina Cat Chow and table food. Only wild food will satisfy a wild cheetah.

When we start our journey back to the wild, we realize that the tame food of religious sermons no longer satisfies. We want the fresh meat of the word that comes directly to us from the Holy Spirit. We want the fresh meat that the Spirit speaks directly into our hearts.

I enjoy watching nature programs on television and I've noticed that wild animals like cheetahs and lions do not live lives of frenzied activity. Instead, their lives are characterized by intentional behavior that is instinctive. Most of their days seem to be spent lying down and enjoying the warmth of the sun. They also spend time grooming their fur. If they're proud parents, part of their day is spent caring for their young. Wildness, as we think of it, is seen only as they pursue their prey, kill it and then eat it. Yet, even this behavior is natural for a cheetah.

To live in the wild means to live in what is our natural state and to do those things that are natural for us. It doesn't mean frenzied, chaotic activity. For Duma, it meant that he would no longer live like a house cat but he would now do the things that are natural for cheetahs to do.

The same is true for us. As we journey back to the wild, we'll give up the artificial world of religion. We'll no longer live lives of programmed behavior being controlled by man's agenda. Instead, we'll be free to follow Jesus wherever he might lead each day. We'll be free to be who we are and to do those things which Father has created us to do.

Others may not understand and it may appear to them as though we're rebellious or heretical. However, this freedom is only an indication that we're living lives that are natural to followers of Christ. Religion may try to put us back in a cage but once we've tasted life in the wild, we'll never be able to go back to the constraints of religion again.

2 comments:

Joel Brueseke said...

Aida, this is a great post to revisit two years later! The whole "living wild" thing has stuck with me. And for good reason - I believe Father is helping me keep that focus in my life.

And indeed, it's not a type of "wild" that means frenzied and unruly and stuff like that. It simply means living as the natural creations that God made us to be. I've definitely dealt with what you talk about here... people thinking I'm being a rebel, and heretical. And I admit it's been a bit of a struggle at times to not worry about what they think of me, but in the end I just gotta be who I am and let the chips fall where they may.

I'd most definitely rather be free than to try to conform to what others think I should be!

Aida said...

Me too, Joel. I think the idea of “living wild “ is a beautiful picture of the life God gives us in Christ.

“It simply means living as the natural creations that God made us to be.”

That’s really all it is and there is such freedom in that. For me, I’ve been a people pleaser for so long that it’s hard to not worry about what others are thinking of me but, like you, I’m slowly learning that I can’t allow that to stop me. For years, I tried to please others at the expense of who I was and I felt like I was dying. I just can’t do that anymore.