Thursday, July 5, 2012

Examining the Lord’s Prayer Through New Covenant Eyes – Part 2

I received the following email in response to my post, "Examining the Lord's Prayer Through New Covenant Eyes."  Instead of praying the Lord's Prayer as a plea for God to do what he's already done, this prayer has become for the writer of the email, a prayer of thanksgiving. I believe this person is a perfect example of someone who has learned to see the Lord's Prayer through New Covenant eyes. 

She has given me permission to post it here as a followup to my original post.  I think you'll be encouraged by what she has to say. 


The Lord's Prayer

Father has used the Lord's prayer in my life as a vital tool to teach me not only about how to converse with Him, but how to live for Him in intimate relationship.

This is the way I see it:

"Our Father who art in heaven, hollowed be thy name", Praise draws me to Father and worship is how I live my life in praise. Doesn't mean I am always in the mood, but when all is dark and scary it never hurts to acknowledge how wonderful and good He is.

"thy Kingdom come thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven", this is me seeking relationship with Father, a hunger in my heart a longing to know Him.

"give us this day our daily bread", because His mercies are new every morning, I know I can ask Him to give me what I need to face life. This includes the financial provisions I need on a day to day basis. I ask Him not because He has to be reminded to meet my needs, but because I need to be reminded He does meet my every daily need.

"forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors", of course I am forgiven even before I asked. So why not practice the same grace given to me? And remember everyday I too have the power to forgive.

"and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil", help me to make the right choices, do not allow me to be deceived. Love casts out all fear and in a relationship with Father I know all is good (even what appears to be bad).

"for thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory", what better place to be than in His loving arms? No matter how I might "feel" the truth is He knows where I am and meets me there. 

This is not how I've always viewed The Lord's Prayer. For years I would recite it without meaning and than a time came when I would pray it in my darkest hours, when I could even hardly utter any words. And then one day, I'm not sure when, this prayer became my way of being and I no longer needed to recite it. So I believe with all my heart,

Jesus taught that prayer to the old testament believers with the new testament believers in mind.

No comments: